Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
SOLVED

Filtering Common String

marlontalisvistar
9 - Comet

Hi, 

I have a records and I would like to filter by common strings. I would like to filter for example all EDOCS_UPLD_09242021 then all EDOCS_UPLD_09252021 and so forth. You may notice that it contains  a date so it always change per work job. I just to need to group it by common name and proceed to another filter under each grouping. See screenshot below.

marlontalisvistar_0-1633625607384.png

Thanks

Marlon

20 REPLIES 20
pdave87
11 - Bolide

@marlontalisvistar sure, I will try to help to the best of my knowledge. I was of the understanding that you require filter condition that should work on string value that also contains date. Hope that is addressed. Further, to work on next steps may I request you to elaborate your expectation from point A to Z with a 10 or 20 row dummy example? i.e. share your input data (dummy) and desired result. That will be of great help to take it ahead.

marlontalisvistar
9 - Comet

Hi @pdave87 

You are correct that I need to filter the UPLD with date because from it I need to the filter the unique route and document. Per  or each UPLD with date should contains a unique route and document type. My problem starts with on how I am going to filter or group the UPLD with date. Please be advised also that the date  changes. Now I work for UPLD-10092021 and tomorrow UPLD-10102021. Hereunder is the sample workflow I'm working together with the file. Kindly check and let me know your inquiries.

Thanks,

Marlon

rexford2018
5 - Atom

Filtering a common string is important and makes the data filtering process go much faster. 

marlontalisvistar
9 - Comet

Hi @rexford2018 

is there any possible way I could capture and group UPLD_date data? 

marlontalisvistar
9 - Comet

Hi @pdave87 

Just like to follow up if we have now a solution to the case? I do hope we have other ideas of capturing the UPLD_Dates?

pdave87
11 - Bolide

@marlontalisvistar I am just looking at your data/workflow. Thanks for sharing the details. Once data is filtered and sorted on dates we can group date-wise aligned data in two ways:

1. Summarized Grouping - this will help us to estimate -> type of document for each batch/date-wise

2. Grouping by Smart Tile - this will help us to maintain index -> for each type of document and it's number/count. 

Revised workflow attached for your use. Hope it helps to take it ahead.

pdave87_1-1633962315926.png

pdave87
11 - Bolide

@marlontalisvistar same output can be converted into an analytical app - i.e. App by default takes filter condition -  to display the data after a particular date. Sample of this App file is attached incase you wish to perform test run. Here, the advantage is that you choose the grouping of your input via filtered condition i.e. date > (batch_UPL_xyz) and create an instant output. This output is smart tiled with index of document type and index number of each document. 

pdave87
11 - Bolide

@marlontalisvistar a quick snapshot below of analytical app - for ease of reference:

pdave87_0-1633964713529.png

marlontalisvistar
9 - Comet

Hi @pdave87 

Thanks for the revised workflow. However, is it possible the collect all same date like EDOCS_UPLD_09242021 and tag as doctype index 1? EDOCS_UPLD_09252021 as index 2? and so forth.. Please do see attached excel for column A and B for clearer understanding.

marlontalisvistar_0-1634138886600.png

Thanks and hope for your continued assistance.

Marlon

pdave87
11 - Bolide

@marlontalisvistar Yes, here you go *Abracadabra* - your wish is granted below 🙂

Revised flow is also attached for your test run. Note, there are several ways to group data (As Alteryx is awesome!!). We have to look at key variables and accordingly choose our approach. It seems in your case as we already have date filters working as expected, smart tile is the best approach to outline unique values into group. You can play around and then we can come to conclusion.

pdave87_0-1634212440585.png

Labels