Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter records with non alphabet characters (ie anything other than A to Z)

jt_edin
8 - Asteroid

How do I filter a string field for anything other than alphabet chars? Case is not important. I'm unsure how to use CONTAINS or perhaps NOT CONTAINS with a list of A-Z, and I don't want to create 26 OR statements in the Filter tool. I'm sure regex can do this in a flash but I'm not sure where to get started.

If my field contains anything other than a-z or A-Z (eg punctuation) then I want to filter it. Thanks

ps - how would I do the above but to allow numbers 0 to 9 as well as letters of the alphabet?

6 REPLIES 6
Federica_FF
11 - Bolide

If you use the formula

REGEX_Match([Your Column], "\w+")

in a filter tool, strings containing letters and/or numbers will be splitted in the T connector, anything else in the F connector.

\w means A-Z + a-z + 0-9 + underscore

jt_edin
8 - Asteroid

Brilliant, thank you. And how would I add a space " " into the permitted characters also? I see from the cheat sheet that 's' means space, but how do I combine it with 'w'? Thanks

Federica_FF
11 - Bolide

You can change the pattern to:

[\w+|\s]+

a group of word characters OR space

jt_edin
8 - Asteroid

Fantastic. What does the + on the end mean? Where's the best place to get started with regex in Alteryx? The help files make no sense to me. Thanks

Federica_FF
11 - Bolide

The + means that the entire group in this case (or generically what comes right before it) can be repeated 1 or more times. A sequence of letters and spaces.

If you don't put the + after the group, Alteryx will exclude a string that contains 2 spaces.

This page gives some pretty useful informations (it's linked somewhere in the Alteryx Regex help page) and this website TXT2RE you can write a string and it tries to give you all the possible code combinations. It can be useful. And in general there are a lot of resource on google, just be sure to find stuff about regex in PERL language, which is the one used by alteryx.

VigneshKS
6 - Meteoroid

You can drag and drop FORMULA to the screen and create a new column and mention the below query.

Uppercase((Regex_Replace(["Field"],"[^a-zA-Z0-9]",''))) 

Here I'm converting everything into capital letters, let me explain each query for you.

1. a-z -> will take all the small letters from a-z

2.A-Z -> will take all the capital letters from A-Z

3.0-9 -> will take all the numbers from 0 to 9

In your case you want to remove all special characters, so you can use the above query changing the field name.

Labels