Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter out duplicates

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

Hey everyone,

Number

Payment

$10

$11

$17

$11

$12

$7

How do I filter out the duplicate numbers to see if they all match or not? So two of the 5's match but one doesn't. How do I filter out the one's that don't?

Any help would be much appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
What is the tiebreak mechanism for keeping a value?

Let's say we have two fives with the values 11 and two fives with the value 16, which would you keep?

I think the scenario shown is quite simple and allows us to understand the problem but can think of a couple of use cases which may break some solutions people may build.
Philip
12 - Quasar

Hi

How do you know which is the correct value to retain? Is it by number of occurrences? If so, here is a workflow that will do it.

Unique count.png

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

Yeah I don't know. How about I just filter out all numbers that are duplicated. How would I do that?

Philip
12 - Quasar

I agree. For example, what happens when there's a number with two or more values that occur at the same frequency?

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

Yeah I understand. That's difficult to check since there are like 30,000 records. If I just filter out duplicate values using the unique tool. it gives me 750 records. Would I have to check one by one to see if the numbers have different payments?

Philip
12 - Quasar

For that, all you'd need would be a Summarize tool or a Unique tool, depending on what you want as output. Summarize retains only values that are summarized some how (group by, average, etc.), Unique would keep all fields from the first occurrence of the combination of values.

Labels