Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter out Values with multiple Dashes

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

Hey everyone,

I have a field with values that contain one dash and some values contain multiple dashes. For example:

Name

James - Smith

Ryan - Jones

Dylan_ James - English - Burke

Elizabeth - kelly - Steve

How can I filter out the values that have multiple dashes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Chirag_Gandhi07 ,

You could use a filter, with a Custom filter based on counting the number of hyphens. The REGEX_CountMatches function can count the number of hyphens. Those rows that have more than one will flow through the T output and those with only one through the F output in the below exampleimage.png

Cheers!

Esther

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Chirag_Gandhi07 

You can use REGEX_CountMatches in a formula tool and then filter on the result

Solution.png

Dan

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Great minds think alike, @danilang !!

You can either step out into two tools, using a formula and filter, or put the formula directly into the filter.

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47 @danilang Thank you both!!

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47 @danilang For the values with multiple dashes, do either of you know how I could filter out values based on the name after the last dash of the value? For example:

John - James - Smith

I would like to filter out the names that end in Smith. Now some of the values could have Smith as middle name. I only want to filter out the values that have Smith as a last name.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @Chirag_Gandhi07 

Add in a filter with the following config

Smith.png  

".*" matches any number of character and "Smith$" matches "Smith" but only at the end of a line(The "$" modifier).

Dan  

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@danilang Thank you. One last question, I want to split the values into to columns. For example:

John - James - Smith

I would like to split it up to two fields:

John - James

and

- Smith

Thanks again. Really appreciate the help! Not really familiar with REGEX

Labels