Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Filter only for last 3 weeks

sanastasova
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I want to create a formula that filters data from column only for the last three weeks. For example we are week 15, I want 15,14and 13. If we are week 16 I would want 16,15,14. How does Alteryx recognizes which is the current week for this column?

Here is a screenshot of what the column looks like.

sanastasova_0-1648826107425.png

Thanks for the help.

9 REPLIES 9
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @sanastasova ,

to identify the current week, you need to DateTime functions:
- DateTimeToday find the current day
- DateTimeFormat returns the week number

But: In addition it may be necessary to adjust the week number, because the number returned starts at "0". If the current year starts with a day between Monday - Thursday, the first week "counts" for the year, you have to add 1.

After finding the current week, a Filter tool does the week selection.

2022-04-01_17-51-33.jpg2022-04-01_17-55-55.jpg

Let me know if it works for you.

Best,

Roland

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sanastasova 

You should be able to use DateTimeFormat([date/time], "%U") which will return the week number as 00 – 53, with the beginning of weeks as Sunday. Alternatively you can use "%u" which starts the week on a Monday

sanastasova
7 - Meteor

Hi Roland, 

Is there a way I can just create a dropdown filter to choose which week I want. Like for example before I run the workflow just to select the 3 weeks I need. I think it would be more simple that way. 

Thanks!

Best, 

Simona

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @sanastasova 

Here's a simple example using a Numeric Up-Down interface tool.  The Action tool replace both "10"s in the filter expression with the user selected value

danilang_0-1648997156512.png

To learn more about the Interface tools, check out the Creating Analytic Apps Interactive training

Dan

Akash__on
8 - Asteroid

Use Sort tool (Descending) and then use sample tool (top 3) Done!! Dynamically always last 3 selected.

Mark as solution, if this helped.

Cheers

Aakash.

sanastasova
7 - Meteor

Akash,

Could you please create a workflow to demonstrate? Because when I select your options I still don't get the right data. 

Thanks!

Akash__on
8 - Asteroid

Try this,

Mark as solution, if this helped.

Cheers

Aakash.

sanastasova
7 - Meteor

The problem is that my database contains a lot of rows with repeating weeks and if I do "First 3" it gets me only three rows. See example from excel;

TeePee
8 - Asteroid

I don't know if you still need help with this, but I would do it this way:

1) Add a Summarise tool to find "Max" of "Week"

2) Insert an "Append" tool: connect the main workflow to the "Target" input of the Append tool and the Summarise tool output to the "Source" input of the Append tool.  This will add a "Max_Week" column which adds the "Max_Week" value to every row.

3) Now insert your formula tool referencing the max week column eg to limit to the past 3 weeks you could do [Week] <=([Max_Week]-2) (NB, if you are using actual dates rather than simple week numbers, you'd need to use the DateTimeDiff formula instead of the subtraction)

Labels