Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter numbers

jonathanzadeh
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am trying to figure out how i can filter a string column which only contains numbers. For example see below. How can use the filter tool to filter out everything and keep records 1&4? Bare in mind these are in the string data type.

Example Column:

1) 0.1333377882

2) N/A

3) N.A.

4) 13336878

19 REPLIES 19
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jonathanzadeh 

If you use a Select Tool and convert to a Double type, you'll see that all numbers will be kept and strings will be converted to Null.

Then, you can filter the Null values and you'll be left with numbers.

That's just a way to do. There are a lot of other ways, but I think this is a simple one.

Cheers,

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @jonathanzadeh 

Put this in for your expression in a Filter tool:

REGEX_Match([Field1], ".*\d+.*")

This works for me with your sample data. Test it out on your full data set. 

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @jonathanzadeh 

This will work:

REGEX_Match([Field1], '\d+|\d+.\d+')

Screenshot 2019-05-17 at 13.52.20.png

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

@Kenda  @Thableaus  You guys are on the ball today!

jonathanzadeh
7 - Meteor

This does work. Would you mind explaining this? Would like to understand what i am doing

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@jamielaird  I had my Wheaties this morning!

giphy (2).gif

jonathanzadeh
7 - Meteor

Forgot to tag you. @Kenda 

This does work. Would you mind explaining this? Would like to understand what i am doing

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

The REGEX_Match function looks for pattern matches based on Regular Expressions. See https://regexr.com for more information on these, but in principal we're just using a specific set of commands to look for patterns in the string.

In my case the regex statement within the formula is

\d+|\d+.\d+

In \d+ \d represents any digit (0-9) and the + after it means ('one or more')

| represents an OR and means that the statement will also be true if the second part of the expression matches

\d+.\d+ is the same as the first part of the expression but adds in a decimal place

Hope this helps!

jonathanzadeh
7 - Meteor

@jamielaird so what is her formula doing. Just hard to follow and i want to really understand this. 

Secondly, how did you get your filter tool to be color coded. Only my formula tool does that

Labels