Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter data in Excel files while reading

PayalS
5 - Atom

Hi Team,

I have a requirement which I am facing difficulty in. PFB points for the considerations.

1. I have a complex WF processing multiple countries data.

2. I have around 3-4 complex excel files.

3. I want to get input from user for which country he/she wants to process the WF.

4. Based on the user input, I want to execute my WF and want my WF to read the data from all excel files only for that country which user selected for that execution..

I know with the help of interface tools I can accept input from the user but unable to achieve the filtration of data in the excel files. I have some computations for which it is important for an execution to read only country specific data.

Hope, this makes sense to you.

Thanks in advance,

Payal Srivastava

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @PayalS 

I don't think you can filter the data prior to it being streamed into Alteryx, but there is no reason you can't use a dropdown interface tool, connected to a filter tool to perform the filtering to the option selected by the user.

See screenshot as an example...

BenMoss_0-1580116392294.png

Ben

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Hi Payal,

Is it perhaps a solution for you to read the Excel file completely, write it to separate Excel files with one for each country for which you have a country name appended to the file name, and subsequently use the directory input tool and a filter to open only those that you need?

With kind regards,

Roland van Leeuwen

Infotopics, the Netherlands

PayalS
5 - Atom

Thanks alot for the quick reply . It helped.

I may come back to you if needed further.

PayalS
5 - Atom

Thanks for the quick reply

I may use this approach if above one doesn't work. 🙂

Labels