Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter by Multiline Textbox input

Fander
5 - Atom

Hi,

I'm a newbie that has searched a lot of post but still can't find what I'm looking for.

I would like to create a way for the user to paste in multiple values that can then be used in a filter.

With a List box I can filter all the selected values by using Custom List and then use the IN expression in the filter, but I want the user to paste in between one and hundreds of different values, not choose between predefined values

With a Text box (Multi line) as input, the user can paste in all the filter values, But then I can't get the filter to work with the IN expression, because the values are not separated properly. So what to do?  

I have even considered having the Text Box populate a Temp table that could be used in a join, but I'm not sure if Temp tables can be made in Alteryx.

Please help

4 REPLIES 4
KP_DML
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

One way would be to use the Text To Columns tool to split your items, then use the Summary Tool to build the IN statement. This is assuming the items are on separate lines, but could be adjusted for a space or comma delimited list. Workflow attached,

Fander
5 - Atom

Thanks, but It was not really what I was looking for. In your solution you use a Text input tool, but I want to use the Text box tool. I want the prompt the user during runtime for all the Items that should be filtered for.

I have approx. 30 000 records with 500 different Material numbers. The user should be able to enter which Material numbers they want as part of the output. So they could potentially want several hundred different Material numbers to be part of the output. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Fander I would send your multiline text box to a text input via an action tool, text to columns to get each row split out, and then join it to your data after getting just the unique items. I've attached a dumb example using the alphabet. Note that with the action tool, it will only work as expected when run as an app. You can get around this by using reference shortcuts, but I didn't want to add more confusion.

patrick_digan_0-1614620779973.png

Fander
5 - Atom

Thanks, that looks like a way forward. I will explore that solution

Labels