Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter and remove duplicates

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

I have a file. Column A has all employee IDs and it has duplicate IDs since data is consolidated for different dates into one file. Now my requirement is to filter the data as per employee ID and remove the duplicates based on value in a different column. So I will put a filter in Column A and check the the values in Column G and remove the entire row if column G has duplicate value. Appreciate any help around this.

Thanks in Advance! 

5 REPLIES 5
EricaR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello Hermant86, 

If I understand your use case correctly you should be able to use the unique tool.  Configure it to identify a duplicate using both the ID column as well as the additional column.  If this is an incorrect assumption of what you would like to accomplish please post a small sample of the data and identify a few "duplicates" and I can try again. 

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @hemant86,

The solution @EricaR recommended is correct.  A Unique tool with the Column Names "Person:System ID" and "Notes" selected will return your required output data.  

EricaR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Yes that is what I was expecting.  The unique tool (in preparation) should get the job done for you. 

hemant86
11 - Bolide

Thanks Erica!....That does the job for me. This community is amazing.🙂

If I can ask for one more favor.

I need to consolidate a bunch of excel files placed in a folder. The number of files  in the folder keeps changing. The files names are different and each file has a sheet with a different name. But the column headers and order is always constant. So I need to merge all the data into a single file. I tried something which I got online like using a wildcard in the path of the files to loop through all available files but it throws an error.

Appreciate if you can guide me on that.

EricaR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Anytime!

Don't forget to mark the solution as accepted so others can find it as well. 

Please see the attached image for your next question.  If the format is the same for all and they are in the same folder the wildcard should work. Just make sure you added the extension. 

Labels