Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter Tool help - excluding multiple factors

skeen503979
8 - Asteroid

Hi again.

I have 4 program types in my data set.  I only want to look at 2 of them.  What is the best way to accomplish this? 

Should I use one filter to exclude one of the program types then an additional filter to exclude the other program type I don't need?  Surely there is a way to have one filter tool that says "I only want to look at X and Y program types".

Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
Simha
9 - Comet

@skeen503979 , You can use OR clause in the same filter tool to accomplish this. Hope this helps.

Simha_0-1583865104863.png

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @skeen503979,

The approach @Simha is correct.  The Filter tool allows for Boolean expressions as well as even more complex formulas.  If you had multiple program types you had to filer for, a cleaner (read this as easier to edit) approach is to use the IN function.  The formula in the Filter tool would be [Program Type] IN ("X","Y")   This will return the same results as using an OR function.

Simha
9 - Comet

Agree with @T_Willins. If you have more than 1 or 2 items to compare, IN operator is the best. Nevertheless, a single filter is enough to formulate the most complex conditions.

skeen503979
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Simha and @T_Willins.  Those are helpful ideas.  Really appreciate the community! #teamwork

swoodling
7 - Meteor

Hello All-

The top solution worked perfectly. What if you want to have it exclude multiple fields. I realize you can just grab the false side of the filter output but was curious how one would change the formula from IN ().

Labels