Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter Tool help - excluding multiple factors

skeen503979
8 - Asteroid

Hi again.

I have 4 program types in my data set.  I only want to look at 2 of them.  What is the best way to accomplish this? 

Should I use one filter to exclude one of the program types then an additional filter to exclude the other program type I don't need?  Surely there is a way to have one filter tool that says "I only want to look at X and Y program types".

Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
Simha
9 - Comet

@skeen503979 , You can use OR clause in the same filter tool to accomplish this. Hope this helps.

Simha_0-1583865104863.png

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @skeen503979,

The approach @Simha is correct.  The Filter tool allows for Boolean expressions as well as even more complex formulas.  If you had multiple program types you had to filer for, a cleaner (read this as easier to edit) approach is to use the IN function.  The formula in the Filter tool would be [Program Type] IN ("X","Y")   This will return the same results as using an OR function.

Simha
9 - Comet

Agree with @T_Willins. If you have more than 1 or 2 items to compare, IN operator is the best. Nevertheless, a single filter is enough to formulate the most complex conditions.

skeen503979
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Simha and @T_Willins.  Those are helpful ideas.  Really appreciate the community! #teamwork

swoodling
7 - Meteor

Hello All-

The top solution worked perfectly. What if you want to have it exclude multiple fields. I realize you can just grab the false side of the filter output but was curious how one would change the formula from IN ().

Labels