Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter Doesn't Seem to be Working Correctly

mccartycp
7 - Meteor

I have a very odd situation that has never occurred before. I have a bonus factor that I've calculated:

mccartycp_1-1583176796003.png

The data is Fixed Decimal 19.2 in all tools, inputs and outputs:

mccartycp_2-1583176828748.png

I have a custom filter setup:

mccartycp_3-1583176903138.png

And it is working - except for the -0.70:

mccartycp_4-1583176950791.png

And it sorts correctly: 

mccartycp_6-1583177066149.png

I've verified that it's not hiding decimals through a temporary HTML output:

mccartycp_5-1583177003474.png

What the heck am I missing?

13 REPLIES 13
AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@ntobon - sample workflow attached.

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AbhilashR I am able to reproduce it with your workflow and sample data. I will be conducting further research onto this issue and I will be updating you soon.

ntobon
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AbhilashR 

Blue tools convert everything to Double for processing. That's probably the issue. Check below KB:
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Big-numbers-and-Alteryx/ta-p/105952

One solution is to handle the numbers like that Strings. Or if you want to use the Numbers you can use the Round function or the CompareEpsilon function. See attached workflow.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@ntobon: Thank you for the detailed solution! Blue tools converting everything to Double is something new I learnt today. Details like these can easily confuse many new users. 

Not sure how, but it might be beneficial to create some sort of central repository of such edge cases for users to readily understand the product behavior, and learn its workarounds.

Labels