Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Don't forget to submit your entry for the Excellence Awards by October 30! | Need more information about the program? Check out the blog here

Filter Condition as output

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I would like to log an output as an exception report which has been generated from a filter condition.

(ie) Input File -> Filter condition -> Output File

Input File - a CSV file contains 1 column and 2 values (Pears and Apples)

Filter Condition - "Fruit = Pears" would be rejected

Output File - As attached screenshot..

Output FileOutput File

Could any of you please help?

Thanks,

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Correction:

Input file shown below:

Input FileInput File

Highlighted
11 - Bolide

@haristha,

I am imagining your real example is a little more complicated than this. I do not think there is currently a functionality in Alteryx that does exactly this. I would recommend flagging before you filter. For instance you could use a formula tool to create a Rejection reason Column something like.

IF [Fruit] = 'pears' THEN 'Fruit Contains "Pears"'
ELSEIF [Fruit] = 'grapes' THEN 'Fruit Contains "grapes"'
ELSE Null()
ENDIF

Then Filter on this new field being not null.

Hope this helps,

MSalvage

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply. 

So, if I have multiple filter conditions for multiple fields do I need to create so many dummy fields as you mentioned? Is there any way I can get the information from the Filter TOOL about which record came to False on what condition?

Thanks again,

Regards.

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @haristha,

As i understand your problem you are looking as if your field contains pear then it would appear as " fruit contains pear" or it will be null if not.

Please refer to the below screenshot:

Fruits.png

Formula used: if [Fruits]=="Pear" then "Fruit Column contained "+[fruits] else "" endif

Output:

Output.png     

if you have to filter out many fruits then use:

[Fruits] in ("Pear","Guava") then "Fruit Column contained "+[fruits] else "" endif

Highlighted
11 - Bolide

@haristha,

No there is no inherent way to do this in the filter tool. I think you will have to write the output you want for each condition.

Best,

MSalvage

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Hi @haristha,

Check my workflow. Why do you need so many dummy fields?
Just add one filter tools, and choose whether the condition is true or false to continue your workflow.

Labels