Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill in blank from duplicated fields

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hello,

I have an input that contains "duplicated" fields.

input.png

Using a dynamic rename tool to replace desired field names. 

find replace.png

"duplicated" fields were renamed to [column1]+digit.

after dynamic rename tool.png

Here is the desired output. 

desired output.png

I would like to dynamically fill in blanks.  I've tried to use "multi field formula" tool and "multi row formula" tool, but could not successfully achieve desired output.

I've attached a sample workflow.

Sincerely,

knozawa

7 REPLIES 7
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @knozawa I mocked up a workflow that I believe answers your question let me know what you think?

Blanks_03022020.JPG

knozawa
11 - Bolide

@JosephSerpis ,

Thank you for your suggestion.  It works fine for fields that do not contain integer.  I apologize that I did not specify that sometimes there are integers in the fields (i.e. "past 5 years").

If possible, I would like to look for fields [column 1]+ 'digit' and fill in blank using those fields.

I've attached the updated input using your workflow.

Sincerely,

knozawa

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @knozawa can't you filter out those columns? I updated the workflow and just filtered out the past 5 years columns. 

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @knozawa,

I've made a slight ammendment to the piece of regex and dynamically fix changes in column headers after the cross-tab:

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed,

Regards,

Jonathan

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @knozawa I amended the workflow let me know what you think?

Blanks_030220201.JPG

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@JosephSerpis i'm not sure you can't guarantee all underscores created by the cross-tab tool are spaces? What if there are other special characters in the column header that also are converted to underscores? That's why i went down the route of the field info tool to dynamically rename columns in my example

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Thank you, @Jonathan-Sherman  and @JosephSerpis .

I chose @Jonathan-Sherman 's workflow as a solution because it dynamically updates field names by using both "field info" and "dynamic rename" tool.  Also, yes indeed sometimes I have underscores in the field names.

Sincerely,

knozawa

Labels