Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill empty cells with data from second file

mickala21
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there,  I'm trying to fill in missing data into my Master File (EEO Report) with data from a second excel file (manually identified).  I've tried many things like joins, find and replace, but my Output file includes data from both files, instead of just updating the blank fields from my mater file.  

4 REPLIES 4
mickala21
6 - Meteoroid

Here is the second file 

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Hi @mickala21 ,

EDIT - I realized that not all Employees were in the source file.  I've updated the original workflow and included a second way to join the data as well. Either one should work.

You could join a few different ways, but here's one of them.  The key here is to add a formula with the Ifnull function.

EEO Update.png

Loic
Alteryx
Alteryx

here is a potential solution. Join 2 files on EE ID, then Union of all 3 output anchors L, J, R to get all 12 employees. If you only want the employees in the first file then remove the union on R.

I then concatenate the pairs of Gender, Address and Ethnicity fields in each file only if the second one is null.

Let me know if that resolves it.

mickala21
6 - Meteoroid

This is perfect! I only wanted the output to contain the Employees from File 1.  Thank you so much for your help!

Labels