Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill a Column with a series of letters or numbers

jdelaguila
8 - Asteroid

I receive a file on a daily basis that i need to add a certain pattern to a Column field every time and the pattern changes almost every time. 

So for example if i get a new file - i am told to create a Column field and put A,B,C,A,B,C,A,B,C......all the way down the field. Or it could be, 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2......, or even 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,........ 

What tool would be best to use to accomplish this?

I heard a macro could do this, but I'm just starting to learn macros and not even sure how to begin to build this. 

I attached a basic workflow below as an example and the field [FLAG] would be the one i need populated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Javi

6 REPLIES 6
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @jdelaguila ,

I created a loop for you, let me know if this fills your needs.

Regards

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @jdelaguila,

Here is how you would do letters as well! Same concept as @afv2688 above.  

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 9.15.13 AM.png

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

And to end this I created a macro which can select either numeric or alphabetical as well as start point, end point and increments.

Untitled.png

Regards

jdelaguila
8 - Asteroid

OMG - Once again you all are awesome! 

@afv2688  - I love the macro idea! It looks like 1=A, 2=B etc - correct?

I was trying out the 7-12 as an Alphabetical, to duplicate GHIJKL pattern - but it looks like pattern will only go to the letter 'I' - which would be the #9. 

Is there any way to make the End Point number work to 26 for alphabetical? 

Thanks again!

Javi

jdelaguila
8 - Asteroid

Okay i figured it out! I was able to go into the macro and add in the extra characters to the Text Input. Everything works perfectly! 

Thanks again!.

Javier

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @jdelaguila ,

you can edit the macro as you wish! 🙂 

I just added the letters corresponding from 1 to 9 (A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I) but you can add more to the list of course!

You just need to enter into the macro and edit the text input 🙂

Edit: Didn't read your second message before posting this! hahaha

Regards

Labels