Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill Up Using Multi-Row Tool

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the Multi-Row and I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I know this tool can be used to Fill Down if Row-1 is null or empty but I was wondering if the tool could be used to fill up dynamically.

In the included example, a list of Cities is given and the State is only provided in the last record for each city (screenshot below)

Bren312_0-1583163942748.png

Would it be possible to populate the State for each city moving up from the bottom; considering that each state may have a different number of cities (i.e. Washington has two, while California has seven).

I'm attempting to attach a worksheet as a data source.  Also, I'm using Alteryx 2019.2.  Thanks guys!

Bren  

5 REPLIES 5
Aaron_Harter
11 - Bolide

@Bren312 - Hi Bren, you can use a RecordID tool to assign the starting position values, then use a sort tool to flip the order, use the Multi-Row formula to perform the fill down function, and finally another sort tool to put the data in the original order.  See the attached solution: 

2.PNG

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey,

I have attached another way to do it. I created a grouping for each state, resorted to put the non-null at the top, and then filled the states down.

fill up.PNG

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Top notch; thanks Aaron!  It looks like both your solution and the solution from @cplewis90 would work well to solve this problem.  I'd probably be inclined to use your method, strictly because the Multi-Row formula in the second solution is pretty daunting to me.  Thanks for the help! 

Bren312
8 - Asteroid

Awesome; thanks for the help!  I'm still getting used to the Multi-Row tool and the IF function is pretty scary but you banged that out really quickly!

Gina2021
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Aaron_Harter ! I just used this!

Labels