Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fill Category Up & Down Based on Other Value

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I need help (as usual). I need to fill the null values with a category ([Air District]) between Totals.  This is a fill 1-N nulls up to the last row before Total (excluding Total) and fill 1-N nulls down to (and including) Total .  I almost had it using a few Multi-Row tools, but I got stuck.  

Simple workflow attached. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.34.01 AM.png

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @hellyars 

Take a look at this, I think it is accomplishing what you need. To explain:

1. Multi-row to fill down unless preceding row is a total row
  2. Record ID tool & sort to reverse the order of the data
  3. Multi-row formula to fill down remaining nulls (this is really filling 'up') 
  4. Sort to put data back into original order

Luke_C_0-1619539185934.png

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@Luke_C  I knew I was missing something. I forgot the RecordID flip technique.  Thanks. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Didn't see @Luke_C 's post due to lag - and here's a different approach - use "on-road" as id. - filter out - where you have the fill value - join back based upon id. Just realized that "on-road" isn't always the first entry. Same process would work for "Total" but obviously use the solution that actually works for your problem.

KarolinaRoza
11 - Bolide

Hi @hellyars ,

I hope my workflow helps you.

Regards,

Karolina

KarolinaRoza_0-1619540736565.png

Labels