Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Files from one Folder || Different Schema

Pascal90
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everyone,

We save reports from SAP into one folder and with a * in the path name we tell alteryx to take all excel files saved in that folder.

Since it's always the same report, the layout is always the same.

But we keep receiving the warning that new files are skipped due to a different schema.

So we have to import them separately, which is a manual step we would like to avoid.

I compared the metadata of the folder to the metadata of the newest files (see attached file) and everything looks fine to me.

Does anyone have a suggestions, what the issue could be?

Thank you and best regards

Pascal 

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Pascal90 looking at your comparison file Planned Operation Short Text is a different format one is V_WString and the other is V_String. To avoid having to manually bring in those files have a look at this article the batch macro process would avoid the error you getting.

Pascal90
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your quick response!

I guess, oversaw that.

As far as I understand the difference between a V_String and V_WString is, that a V_WString can contain Unicode, right?

Can I define this field to always be a V_WString, since in the first File happens to be a V_String.

sorry, I'm brandnew to alteryx 😉 

Best regards

Pascal

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Pascal90 alteryx in assigning that value when it's importing that data in. The only way to resolve that would be the SAP source system and ensuring the data type is consistent, however this may be difficult to track and resolve. As I mentioned because it due to the data type alteryx is assigning that field when importing the data.  The batch macro process I pointed to you will match all the columns with the same name collate all the data together from the various files then assign a data type hence why you can avoid that manual process that article has an example workflow that you can look into as well.

Pascal90
6 - Meteoroid

Okay now I see. Thanks a lot!

As I said, I'm brand new to alteryx, I will try to get this to work!

Best regards

Pascal

Labels