Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fileception: - Using atleryx to automate searching for latest file and to open it.

t9899
5 - Atom

Hey guys,

I'm new to Alteryx and I was want to use Alteryx to automate finding the latest excel file from a series of folders. Using a 2018.4 version of Alteryx.

1. I was wondering if it would be possible to identify the latest folder,
  2. Once identified if it's possible to open the latest file. Path.PNG
5 REPLIES 5
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

@t9899 You will want to use a combination of the directory tool and a dynamic input tool. 

This article should get you down the right path, but always reach out if you're having issues!

t9899
5 - Atom

Hey Neil, Thanks that article was really helpful, but when I use the directory tool and it's presented with a list of folders it doesn't provide any metadata about them. It only provides those details when it access the folder which has all the excel files. 

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

I'm guessing that you have set of folders and then subfolders based on your original post. Do you have the option for "Include Sub Directories" checked?

t9899
5 - Atom

I didn't do that, but that's worked!!! Thanks Neil

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I think the idea is that you can use the folder/file names to determine which is the latest file rather than retrieving the metadata. If you can share the exact folder/file names, we can help with those formulas.

Labels