Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

File unbuffered message while generating binary combinations

Teresa31
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, Alteryx newbie here.

Was wondering if there are any roundabouts in solving memory error when generating combinations.

As attached, I have built an iterative macro that generates a kind of truth table which grows in the form of two to the power of n.

In order for this macro to serve initial purposes, 80 was the max number that I had planned on assigning to n.

However, the macro stops at about 27 or 28 and would return "FileUnbuffered: Error in GetOverlappedResult: There is not enough space on the disk."

To the best of my knowledge, I assume this is stemming from exponential increase of rows, possibly putting strains on computing power of my laptop.

I was wondering if 28 iterations are all that I can get out of Alteryx, or if there are any way that I can get about it.

Also, I wanted to know if there are other methods other than trial-and-error, that I could calculate the max number of n.

Any help is deeply appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Teresa31 
Can you export workflow so the macro can be included?

or please upload the macro.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Teresa31 
In case you are running or outputting something to the network drive, try to change it to local.

Teresa31
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Qiu,

Since I do not know how to export (is this different from simply saving the file?), I have uploaded the macro for your reference. 

Many thanks!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Teresa31 

I am sorry that I did not quite get the meaning of Truth Table.

I just create a batch macro that will generate the number from 1 to the two to the power of n.

0223-1.PNG
Teresa31
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @Qiu for the attachment. 

However when I tried to open the file, it returned a warning message as follows:

Teresa31_1-1614071533151.png

I clicked OK but nothing appeared. According to the message, it seems to be the version problem. Mine is Version 2019.3.1.24384. I wonder if this version is that outdated..

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Teresa31 

The latest is 2021.1😁

Teresa31
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @Qiu!

A bit disheartening but maybe I'll have to check the version first. Thank you for letting me know!

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @Teresa31 

You can open the workflow with NotePad or NotePad+ and change the Alteryx Version to match your version, save the changes, and it should open on your version.
If there are any embedded macros, they may not open still.

Thanks!
TrevorS

Community Moderator
Labels