Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

File not found, yet preview shows me data from the file

Per
11 - Bolide

I must be missing something obvious here, so hope someone can push me in the right direction!

I have access to a single file on a server. Using the path, I can download the file to my desktop without issue. But when I try to access this file through Alteryx I get a "File not found" error. The strange thing is that I can Preview its contents, so why can´t the file be read?

It is a SAS file, if that should make any difference.

Per_0-1619698126501.png

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Per 
It indeed is strange.

Have you try to run the workflow anyway?

Per
11 - Bolide

Hi @Qiu,

Yes, I did 🙂 Wanted to be optimistic!

I can also confirm that a fellow colleague can access the file just fine, as he has access to the entire folder. So it seems to be specific for Alteryx, that it throws an error when it does not have access to the folder a file resides in?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Per 

I tried on my end and it works just fine.

So it might something to do with the file access permission?

How about you goto the target folder then drag the SAS file to the alteryx cavas?

Qiu_0-1619700201405.png

Per
11 - Bolide

Yes, the SAS file itself is not the issue here, I believe.

As I don´t have access to the folder, I cannot just drag it into the canvas as proposed. However, if I download the file to my desktop, I CAN drag it into Alteryx, and everything works fine. But as the file is updated daily, that is not a task I want to have to do every day 🙂

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Per 
May I ask how do you download the file since you mentioned that you dont have the access for the parent folder?

Maybe we can replicate the copying processs in Alteryx as well?

Per
11 - Bolide

@Qiu, that is actually a good question 🙂 I can´t replicate it now!

I will pray to the gods (in this case, the server admins) that I can get full folder access. This issue is probably as much a Windows/permission issue as it is related to Alteryx. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Labels