Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

File compare Module for Non regression testing

T-Dub
7 - Meteor

Hello again,

I am trying to figure out an efficient and hopefully automated way to compare two seperate files containg the same fields.

So far I have managed to make something that requires changing data in: Text to Columns; Dynamic Fields; Key; Transpose; Output

My problem is that this is very time consuming since I have about 100 different file groups to compare so I have to manually modify every single one of them.

I am also confronted with having to create a unique Key for each line that needs to be compared in every file, this Key tends to change for each file type because they contain different data. I haven't found a way around this. Maybe someone has a bright idea !

Here is what my module looks like, it is in French but I hope you get the idea:

Module alteryx.PNG

For outputs I have 4 files:

-In file 1 only

-In file 2 only

-No change

-With change

Anything would help...

Best regards,

T

12 REPLIES 12
kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @T-Dub

This might help: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/CReW-Delta--Alpha-/5b41141b826fd3116445fee8

It checks whether everything is identical and spits out differences. Just note that your rows need to be in the same order on both sides.

Kind regards

Kat

T-Dub
7 - Meteor

Thank you @kat for your response and the tool !

I tried it on a pair of files and it seems to work, however I cannot seem to find a way to view the fields that contain differences, it can only view a summary of the number of differences)

I am using version 9.1 of Alteryx so I'm not very familiar with the newer functionalities of 11 (We have a shared Alteryx Server with 11 that we can occasionally)

Is there a way to view which fields and on which files there are differences?

Thanks again,

T

kat
12 - Quasar

@T-Dub, when I run it, I get a list of differences come out the middle join (D). Are you not seeing this?

exampleexample

T-Dub
7 - Meteor

It doesn't seem that I am able to find this information...  :(

Maybe you could direct me better with a screen-shot of the workflow and the output information?

Thanks @kat !

kat
12 - Quasar

@T-Dub, if you run the attached, do you see anything come out the D output?

T-Dub
7 - Meteor

Hi @kat

Unfortunately I am not able to get anything coming out of "D" in the module that you sent.

kat
12 - Quasar

@T-Dub, I think this the time where we loop in the macro author, @MarqueeCrew

Any issues with backwards compatibility, Mark?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@T-Dub

Please try running the attached version of @kat 's yxmd file.  I saved the file as version 9.0 so that you should be able to run it.

The Delta macro doesn't use any new functionality/tools so if the output of the 'D'elta anchor has no records, I'd like to see it running on your machine.  If you PM me with your email and some suggest times (including timezone or use mine, Eastern -5:00) I'll take a look at it with you.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
T-Dub
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the reply Mark,

I'd love to be able to work with you to try and find a solution to my problem.

I am including a screenshot of what pops up when I open the module with Alteryx.

delta error.PNG

I'm not sure if this is what I'm supposed to be seeing? What should I do with it? I see the data in the two files, but no way to connect both of them to the Questions mark module, I've tried running it with one input, still nothing but an error appears.

@MarqueeCrew, it seems that I can't send you a direct message, maybe you have something disabled on your account that prevents random people from contacting you. I sent a friend request to maybe resolve this issue.

Best regards,

T

Labels