Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

File Copying and Moving

bobpeers
9 - Comet

If you want to move or copy files without using cmd or powershell solutions you can now install this tool made with the Python SDK.

AlteryxCategory

You can choose to keep the filenames the same but you can also rename them at the same time. It's a yxi package you can download and install from my Github site.

Happy moving!

https://github.com/bobpeers/Alteryx_SDK_FileCopyMove

38 REPLIES 38
Biernt
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

Want to start off by saying, amazing work on this tool.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to select the directory I wish to copy and move my files to. What I'm trying to do is copy & move all files in a folder to another folder on a separate drive. I'm using the directory tool to select the folder I want targeted for the move, but selecting where I'm sending them is where I'm getting caught up. 

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Raj008
8 - Asteroid

Hi Sean,

Can you please explain  me how you did this. I have the same issue.

Thanks,

Raj

eliberatore
7 - Meteor

Does anyone have an example of how to use this macro?  I want to copy files from their folders and subfolders and place them in the same folder tree in another location.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Dave_McClintock
6 - Meteoroid

@bobpeers thanks for developing this tool! There is one question though that is preventing me from being able to deploy a workflow using this method.

I have various error checks in my workflow to cancel the workflow if there is a data issue. The problem I am having is that the files are moved even when the workflow errors out prior to where this tool is in the workflow. Is there a simple way to make the tool not run if errors are encountered earlier in the workflow? 

danello11
5 - Atom

This macro will allow you to process sequentially. I use it all the time.

psyberbrain
6 - Meteoroid

@JMart2135 Have you been able to run it on the server?

Facing the same issue with the same error message.

Cheers

kamanivk
8 - Asteroid

@danello11 What does the macro 'Process Sequentially' does? Is it different from Block Until Done? Thanks.

danello11
5 - Atom

I have not used block until done so i can't speak to the differences, but Process Sequentially just processes the entire first input until done and then the second input runs. 

justindavis
10 - Fireball

@bobpeers this macro is incredibly helpful, have used it in several circumstances. Thank you!

Labels