Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Field names lost when "Dynamic input" is used within a custom macro.

jensroy
9 - Comet

Hello Community!

So I am having a challenge with field names. Inside a custom macro, I have dynamic input. This dynamic input holds a "dummy" excel file. This file path is then updated based on user input.

But what happens when I run the workflow? Well, If i do no changes to my workflow, then tools display the correct fields anywhere in the stream.

But If i make a changes to the workflow, the "metadata" coming from the macro is "resett" to the vales of the dummy excel file.

The video below shows what happens.

Basically, after the first run, I have 2 fields, "Sold to Country" and "Sold to Continent". This shows in the output of the macro as well as in the select tool.

Then I delete the select tool and insert a new select tool. Now, the select tool finds 2 other fields "F1" and "F2". These are the two fields inside the dynamic input tool, inside the macro, as a dummy file that is replaced by user input.

Any way I can overwrite the raw xml or something like that to force through the correct field names?

11 REPLIES 11
jensroy
9 - Comet

Hello and thanks for great suggestions!

1. Definitly a nice idea. Unfortunatly, even with saving the data, the workflow loses the metadata downstream after I add a few select tools.

2. CreW macros have amazing quality. But in this case we have 100+ users on different levels, so we try to reduce the amount of tools and installs they need to go through. Personally I use them a lots though ^^

Anyways, thanks for very good suggestions!

jensroy
9 - Comet

The solution was only one checkbox away.

Now the "metadata" is updates and kept after each run.

clipboard_image_0.png

Labels