community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Field name containing special characters + imputation

Asteroid

Don't really know where to put it, whether it's me doing something wrong or a little bug perhaps, so apologies and please move it to appropriate section if necessary. 

In my very simple workflow I have to columns:

a) visits

b) sales

split by, let's say last 6 months. I aggregate it then cross tab it and get a two-column 6-row table. So far so good.

Now on a separate line I calculated the total for A and B, appended it and using formula created two new columns

a) % of all visits

b) % of all sales

Now I put Imputation tool to change all nulls to 0.

That's where problem starts, somehow I have 4 new columns

% of all sales

__of_all_sales

% of all visits

__of_all_visits

Is that expected behaviour or am I not allowed to use spaces in field names when combining with Imputation. I'd like to menion the "Output imputed values as a separate field" is not ticked. 

Moreover the original columns % of all sales, % of all visits - are all NULLs now.. 

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @dawid_nawrot!

Is it possible that you checked the "Output imputed values as a separate field" box?  I'm guessing that is why you got the new fields.

I prefer to use the multi-fields formula tool (checking your desired fields) and using a formula like:

IIF(isnull([_CurrentField_]),0,[_CurrentField_])

I realize that it is pretty old school of me not to use the impute tool, but I like it.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Asteroid

Like I mentioned this feature is always unticked for me.

I know I can write many workarounds but since there is a conrete tool to do this I would like to know if that's intended behaviour or not, just to be aware of it as I couldn't find any information and the results confused me a bit at first :D

Hi Dawid,

That is totally normal behaviour.

If you see your data, you'll find that your original fields still remains, and the "imputed" ones, are at the end of the dataset.

If you tick "Output imputed values as a separate field", you should see this:

Imputation.PNG

@dawid_nawrot,

You can open the imputation tool (macro) and see that there is a transpose / crosstab comination inside that causes the creation of the new fields.  If your data is in a field with no special characters and no spaces, then it wouldn't create a new field.  As @aguisande points out, this is "normal".

I still prefer the old school method where I have control and don't create new fields.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Asteroid

That's now what happens to be.. The imputed values change the names to replace any character to "_" and the original ones are al NULLS

And this is without ticking the box - the box is ALWAYS unticked

Labels