Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Field data type changes based on file being importe

rromeo
7 - Meteor

I have created a workflow that starts by importing a data file.

There is an ID number field that needs to be a V_String.  With the test data file I was using, the first few rows happened to be blanks for that field. Alteryx imported that field as a V_String (which is what I want).

When using a different data file, the first row had data, and Alteryx imported the data as a double(bad) which caused problems further on down the line.

How can I change the data type and "lock it in" so to speak?

If I am working with the 2nd data file, and I use a select tool, I can force it from double to v_string (and the data type is highlighted in pink to show that I changed it. But after saving that change and changing the input file back to the first one, the data type is not longer highlighted pink. Just shows that it imported as a V_string.  Then when changing it back to the second file...it is back to being a double.

Need it to be a v_string regardless of which file is chosen.

2 REPLIES 2
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@rromeo in the select tool, if the data is originally a v_string, you can choose the type 'v_string forced'. This will ensure that the data will always be that type, rather than the select tool thinking that field should remain its original type. 

rromeo
7 - Meteor

Awesome. I was not aware of that option. Thanks!

Labels