Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Field Summary tool temp file persistent error

david_fetters
11 - Bolide

Tried finding a topic on this, but could not (apologies if I did not search enough!)

Our firm uses alteryx designer on all of our machines.  Regardless of what machine is running it, we always get an error with the field summary tool.  The error is:

>Error: Field Summary (166): Tool #275: Tool #105: File not found "D:\Alteryx Temp >Directory\Engine_5832_f1ded0f019364b6aaf45e47f7388f0ad_\__temppath__.txt"

The tool still works despite the error, but it causes alarm to the analysts when an error pops up in our macros that use the field summary tool.  Anyone have any ideas how we can fix this?

17 REPLIES 17
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

looks like the path is invalid

did you override system setting in your wrokflow designer?

can you check the path and provide valid one?

it should be something like below path

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine

david_fetters
11 - Bolide
Our temp folder is setup on the d drive (HDD) rather than our C drive (SSD). Im not sure what specific setting you're asking me to change, but everything else seems to point to the right place. Only the field summary tool has this issue.
s_pichaipillai
12 - Quasar

David,

can you go to system settings and navigate to the Engine configuration as below and see what path provided

as per your error message the ">" before Directory seems strange to me 

D:\Alteryx Temp >Directory\Engine_5832_f1ded0f019364b6aaf45e47f7388f0ad_\__temppath__.txt

Enginepath.PNG

simon
11 - Bolide

That 'Engine...' path looks like an Alteryx temp folder. It changes every time you run that module/macro/app.

I would check workflow dependencies and see if you have a relative %temp%\ or .\ in your path instead of an absolute path.

david_fetters
11 - Bolide

Sorry about the angle brackets, those are not present in the text and i realize now they are misleading.  Our temporary directory is set to D:\Alteryx Temp Directory

david_fetters
11 - Bolide

It appears that the problem is within the internal macros inside Field Summary, Tool 275: Tool 105, which I tracked down to this: Capture.PNG

Im not necessarily excited about the idea of changing one of the built-in macros

simon
11 - Bolide

there ya go. IMO, that %temp% is asking for trouble. 

Maybe drop that path in a batch file and run that. Then you don;t need to change your macro - well, only once to start using a batch file.

david_fetters
11 - Bolide
The issue is not with a macro that I've created (although mine have a few of their own unique problems), that error is buried inside the Field Summary tool in the official Data Investigation tool set. That's why I'm reluctant to change anything with it because I'm not exactly sure what it does or needs to do
simon
11 - Bolide

I see you point. Are you able to run a test module using that macro?

my output comes from here.

File_Input: Run Command (105): C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\Engine_6572_53a4c5fc88f44626ab26b2f5bcbd7000_\__temppath__.txt|1 records were read from "C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\Engine_6572_53a4c5fc88f44626ab26b2f5bcbd7000_\__temppath__.txt"

Look at your global workspace. mine is C:\ProgramData\Alteryx

Also, your D path has a space in it. Maybe I'm oldskool but I always avoid spaces in path and file names...

If all else fails there always client services :)

Labels