Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Field Summary - Shortest_Value & Longest_Value returns NULL of FixDecimal

stapuff
9 - Comet

I am running the Field Summary tool against a data set Shortest_Value & Longest_Value in the tools response return NULL for FixDecimal fields.

I can understand the return of NULL for the Shortest_Value, but was surprised that the Longest_Value returned NULL also.

Is there anything I can do or change with the tool that would return the actual Longest_Value?

Thanks,

Puff

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @stapuff 

The longest and shortest values return Null for fixed decimal, because the concept of longest and shortest isn't applied to numbers(in Alteryx, anyway)

r.png 

This is the output for 3 fields of data with same 2 values.  You see that for numeric values you get max, min, and other statistical information.  For the string value, you get common string related stats. 

If you need to see longest and shortest numeric values, convert them to string, as in the attached 

Dan

stapuff
9 - Comet

Dan,

I appreciate your response back and I get what you are saying about how numbers are treated in Alteryx. 

Min & Max was deselected so I selected them and now see the Min/Max value range.

I created a formulas to return what I need

MinValueLength

iif([Field Category]="Numeric",ToString(Length(Left(ToString([Min]),FindString(ToString([Min]),"."))))+"."+ToString(Length(Right(
ToString([Min]),Length(ToString([Min]))-FindString(ToString([Min]),".")-1))),Length(Tostring([Shortest_Value])))

MaxValueLength

iif([Field Category]="Numeric",ToString(Length(Left(ToString([Max]),FindString(ToString([Max]),"."))))+"."+ToString(Length(Right(
ToString([Max]),Length(ToString([Max]))-FindString(ToString([Max]),".")-1))),Length(Tostring([Longest_Value])))

Again I appreciate you pulling me out of the weeds.

Puff

Labels