Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

FTP Positionally Delimited File

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Hello-

I am trying to upload a file to FTP. I have been following the steps in the article below for scenario 2 -

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Upload-to-SFTP-FTP/ta-p/20845 .

Workflow looks like below,the data need to be positionally delimited and should be a text file because the program in which this extract goes to excepts positionally delimited data (sample data shown in 2nd snippet below) .

ftp1.JPG

ftp4.JPG

I need some direction in creating a positionally delimited file, I was able to create a simple text file out and uploading it to FTP using “BLOB” but it is not positionally delimited .Further,when i experimented different output options the file gets corrupted especially when i use ".TXT" extension in the formula tool for customization. The purpose of the bottom node (in red highlight) is to create a custom file name “<filename>_<yyyymmddhhmmss>.txt”.

BLOB Converter Configuration Screen.

ftp2.JPG

DOWNLOAD Tool Configuration screen.

ftp3.JPG

Thank you very much. 

3 REPLIES 3
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MD2050 

Excuse my ignorance but I am not sure what a positionally delimited file is?

Is this similar to a fixed width flat file. So for example field one starts in position 0 and field 2 always starts in position 20, field 2 in 30 etc?

If so, I think you'll need to utilise the PadRight function when you are putting the fields together.

Workflow.png

If you could upload your workflow I'll have a look at the name issue you are having too, as it should be possible.

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Gm @JoeS -

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, we need a fixed width flat file with pipe delimiters and a custom file name. I was able to achieve that piece although now i am asked to put the file to a ftp .

I am having trouble retaining the fixed width ,pipe delimited and custom name requirement and uploading it to FTP- this is the piece i need some help with. 

I followed the steps given in https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Upload-to-SFTP-FTP/ta-p/20845 article although in the example a simple csv file is uploaded to ftp instead of customized. 

Thank you ,

MD.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MD2050 

Could you just use a concatenated set of results. So the whole file in one field rather than converting it to a blob? (as my thoughts are this may look to be "efficient" and remove duplicated white space.)

Labels