Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

FTP Positionally Delimited File

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Hello-

I am trying to upload a file to FTP. I have been following the steps in the article below for scenario 2 -

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Upload-to-SFTP-FTP/ta-p/20845 .

Workflow looks like below,the data need to be positionally delimited and should be a text file because the program in which this extract goes to excepts positionally delimited data (sample data shown in 2nd snippet below) .

ftp1.JPG

ftp4.JPG

I need some direction in creating a positionally delimited file, I was able to create a simple text file out and uploading it to FTP using “BLOB” but it is not positionally delimited .Further,when i experimented different output options the file gets corrupted especially when i use ".TXT" extension in the formula tool for customization. The purpose of the bottom node (in red highlight) is to create a custom file name “<filename>_<yyyymmddhhmmss>.txt”.

BLOB Converter Configuration Screen.

ftp2.JPG

DOWNLOAD Tool Configuration screen.

ftp3.JPG

Thank you very much. 

3 REPLIES 3
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MD2050 

Excuse my ignorance but I am not sure what a positionally delimited file is?

Is this similar to a fixed width flat file. So for example field one starts in position 0 and field 2 always starts in position 20, field 2 in 30 etc?

If so, I think you'll need to utilise the PadRight function when you are putting the fields together.

Workflow.png

If you could upload your workflow I'll have a look at the name issue you are having too, as it should be possible.

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Gm @JoeS -

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, we need a fixed width flat file with pipe delimiters and a custom file name. I was able to achieve that piece although now i am asked to put the file to a ftp .

I am having trouble retaining the fixed width ,pipe delimited and custom name requirement and uploading it to FTP- this is the piece i need some help with. 

I followed the steps given in https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Upload-to-SFTP-FTP/ta-p/20845 article although in the example a simple csv file is uploaded to ftp instead of customized. 

Thank you ,

MD.

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @MD2050 

Could you just use a concatenated set of results. So the whole file in one field rather than converting it to a blob? (as my thoughts are this may look to be "efficient" and remove duplicated white space.)

Labels