Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

FIELD IDENTIFER WITH LETTER AND NUMBER CHARACTERS

dunkindonut7777
8 - Asteroid

Hi I would like to ask if how can I separately identify these codes through creating another column. I would like to identify as "E" the id codes that contain numbers only while the codes that have letters plus numbers will be identified as "L". I would just like to add another column named "IDENTIFIER". Kindly see table below for the expected output.

IDIDENTIFER
6435474E
1074858E
AB566889L
C48755CDL

can you help me with this one pls? thank you

5 REPLIES 5
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @dunkindonut7777 

Here is how you can do it using regex match \d+ matches only number ids.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1629359599660.png

Hope this helps : )

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hey @dunkindonut7777 ,

You can make use of the REGEX MATCH function of the formula tool. What this function does is it checks your records against an expression pattern.

If you records only contain numbers, so the pattern will match the expression \d+, which stands for "one or more digits".

If your records contain numbers and letters of the alphabet, then your expression should change to \w+, which stands for "one or more alphanumeric characters".

AngelosPachis_0-1629359820384.png

If something falls out of that description, you can null the value of that record just to flag it.

Hope that helps,

Angelos

dunkindonut7777
8 - Asteroid

THANK U FOR THIS!

dunkindonut7777
8 - Asteroid

THANK U FOR THIS IT WORKS!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help : ) @dunkindonut7777