Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

F and T converted to True & False rather than strings

josephhw
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I'm importing data where some of the fields contain F and T. After looking at it once it's read in some of the values, specifically Fs and Ts, have been converted to True and False. 

Is there a recommend way of dealing with this? I've so far gone for selecting it and converting it to a string of size 1 which returns the truncation warning.

Is this the best method?

Many thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @josephhw 

Does your field only contain these strings (F or T)?

Where does your data come from? (Excel File, SQL, CSV)

Cheers,

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@josephhw 

I don't know if this is the best way, but an alternative solution would be converting the Field to a String and using the Formula - Left([Field], 1)

Cheers,

josephhw
6 - Meteoroid

Hey, 

Yes the field only contained Fs and Ts! I have had it as an issue doing a raw text input tool and from Excel

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@josephhw 

Yes, you'll definetely have some trouble if you're using the Text Input tool, it will automatically identify the field as a Boolean, and when you convert it back to a String, it sees it as False or True.

But the good thing is if you insert a space before or after your F/T string, it sees it as a string again. Then you could use either the Data Cleansing Tool or the Trim function to get rid of this whitespace.

Or you could use a dummy string in the 1st row and use the Sample Tool with the Skip 1st option.  

Details that can make our life a bit harder.

Cheers,

josephhw
6 - Meteoroid

Great! Two easy solutions! 

Thanks a lot. Will probably go for the dummy string!

Labels