Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extracting rows between two designated rows with variable space between.

Manij1
6 - Meteoroid
Hello all,

I am having a hard time extracting rows above rows designated with an asterisk, and then looping this action so that I can assign every piece of data to a number. For instance, the first rows above *FIFO should be extracted until it meets the row *COGS with an asterisk and all should be designated as 1 (in a new field), then the next set of rows until it meets *R&D should be designated as 2, and so on. In the larger data set, (not here but similar to the one posted) there are a variable amount of rows in between the rows designated with an asterisk. Additionally, is there a way to only target between rows with ONE asterisk? As there may be rows that have more than one asterisk. I would like to do this loop until the entire data set has been parsed.
12 REPLIES 12
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Could you clarify what needs to be done in these situations? Do you want to include *COGS but not **COGS?

Manij1
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Brandon, the Regex match expression was the key!! I used the expression to generate the number of asterisks and then filtered by 0, and 1 then used that to count the groups! 

Thanks again!! 

Iqbalwasim
5 - Atom

This was a perfect reply ,Thanks a lot

Labels