Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extracting multiple strings of text from one cell between hyphen and digit

lecoops333
5 - Atom

Hi there,

I have the following data that is exported as shown below in a single cell.

1) Summary - Y 2) R1 - Y two days 3) R2 - Y 4) R3 - Y 5) R4 Attached - Y on file 6) R5 Over - Y 7) R6 Submitted - N 😎 Calc - Y 9) SH - N TBC 10) Saved - Y 11) Delivery - Electronic 12) IMI - N 13) QMI - N 14) Pres. - Y 15) Elected - Y postal

I am trying to extract the single cell into 15 individual columns. I would like the data for each number listed that is between the "-" and the "subsequent number" to be in an individual column with the string before the hyphen deleted. The strings before the hyphen eg. "1) Summary -" or "2) R1 -" will always be the same but the string following the hyphen before the subsequent number will vary in length.

How I would ideally like to transform the data above into columns as follows:

Column 1: Y

Column 2: Y two days

Column 3: Y

Column 4: Y

Column 5: Y on file

Column 6: Y

Column 7: N

Column 8: Y

Column 9: N TBC

Column 10: Y

Column 11: Electronic

Column 12: N

Column 13: N

Column 14: Y

Column 15: Y

Not sure if there is a way to initially 'group' the string in the cell into sections such as "1) Summary - Y" "2) R1 - Y two days" to make this easier?! I'm pretty new to this so struggling how to do this using text to columns or RegEx tools so any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks, Lou

PS. 8 ) is showing as the sunglasses emoji! 

2 REPLIES 2
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@lecoops333 
I am not RegEx expert, so go with some tools.

And for column 15, I  think its a special case and the postal is now in the parsed data, but your anwser is not.

We can do something about it, let me know what you need.lecoops333.PNG

lecoops333
5 - Atom

This is just what I needed so thanks a lot for your help Qiu 😀

Labels