Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extracting Text/Numbers from String

pmeloche
5 - Atom

Hi Designers,

We would like to extract just the portion in bold from the below string.

1) The portion below sometimes does not have the '-XX' indicator (Ie it is 12 characters)

2) The portion below is not always at the beginning of the string

We found some RegEx links, but are fairly new and not exactly sure how to apply what we've found to our specific case, below is a close example of our situation.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/REGex-Replace/td-p/395971

Example:  G90000607960-14 GSK Helena Auguston 3 and 4 Sep 2019

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @pmeloche 

Will you always be extracting everything before the first space? If yes, I recommend a Text to Columns tool. Set the delimiter to a space (\s), and separate into 2 columns. The first will have the information you want.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,

Esther

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @pmeloche,

If what @estherb47 is suggesting doesn't work with your data, try the following expression in a RegEx parse:  .*?(\w\d{11}\-*\d*)

This will work if you substring is always a letter followed by 11 digits with the optional dash and two digits.  This would require modification if your substring is of variable length or format.

mattreynolds
9 - Comet

Had a thought on the RegEx approach. We can (also) make the -XX optional using this expression in a RegEx Tool set to Parse:

(\u\d{11}(?:-\d{2})?)

Brief explanation:

(           # Begin capture group 

\u         # Match one upper case character 

\d{11}   # Match 11 digits

(?:        # Begin nested non-capture group

-           # Match the -

\d{2}     # Match two digits

)           # End nested non-capture group

?          # Make nested non-capture group optional (catch it if you can!)

)           # End capture group. 

Example with tests is attached. 

pmeloche
5 - Atom

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED!!! Fantastic work! Yes i'm yelling because this is super exciting!

Thank you SO MUCH! 

Labels