Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extracting Middle and Last word after commas

Ghosh
7 - Meteor

My current file looks like this:

IATAICAOAirport nameLocation servedTimeDST
AAANTGAAnaa AirportAnaa, Tuamotus, French PolynesiaUTC−10:00 

I am trying to get this:

IATAICAOAirport nameLocation servedTimeDSTWord 1Word 2Word 3
AAANTGAAnaa AirportAnaa, Tuamotus, French PolynesiaUTC−10:00 AnaaTuamotusFrench Polynesia

There is a slight issue here, there are some rows where the Location served is in the following form, there is no city name,

IATAICAOAirport nameLocation servedTimeDST
AAOSVANAnaco AirportAnaco, VenezuelaUTC−04:00 

The String function that I am using in a formula function Creating a new column called Country, is this: 

Substring([Location served],FindString([Location served], ',')+ 1, Length([Location served]))

The problem is that it isn't returning me the Country name, instead I am getting is everything after the 1st comma.

I am trying to get it all using one string function where I can get the Word 1 Field, Word 2 Field and the Word 3 Populated respectively, if the string is "Anaa, Tuamotus, French Polynesia", but if the string is "Anaco, Venezuela", then only the Word 1 and the Word 3 Fields are populated.

Is this possible? My build string is wrong I Know, but I am confused over the sentence above in my question here. Hope I am making it clear.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

6 REPLIES 6
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Ghosh ,

Attached is an example showing how to get it done!

I'm using parse method from regex tool with the expression ([^,]+?),(.*?),*([^,]+$)

Let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Ghosh.,

I think this solves your issue, and this workflow is fully dynamic and would create the number of columns needed for the number of words to extract, whether that be 1, 3 or 50.

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached my workflow for you to download if needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ghosh
7 - Meteor
Thank you for the solution, just asking, can this also be done using just string functions?
Ghosh
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the solution, just asking, can this also be done using just string functions?

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Ghosh You can often replicate a Regex Parse with a Regex_replace (which means you can use it in a formula tool). If we take @fmvizcaino regex, then we can set up a formula tool like this to get the same output:

OllieClarke_0-1574870418025.png

The TRIM() removes the leading whitespace that the Regex output, and then each formula replaces the entire string with the specified capture group (\1, \2 or \3). As long as your regex covers the entire string, then you can use a regex_replace formula like this to parse strings. (the Regex_replace() function of course being a string function)

I've attached a workflow showing how the formula tool and the regex tool can give the same output with @fmvizcaino's regex

Hope that helps,

Ollie

Ghosh
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much. This works. I have made 3 workflows using all the 3 solutions provided. I understand using regex makes it faster. and know I know how to use regex expressions in the formula tool.

Lot of things learnt today. 

Thank you to all of you 🙂

Labels