Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extracting Data from Inside a Parentheses

crazybeauti_ful
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

How do I extract 'Belgium' from 'BE (Belgium)'?

I looked for solutions here but somehow, I am only getting 'BE' as output.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @crazybeauti_ful,

can you explain the wider context? Do you always want to extract what is inside two brackets? Or do you always want to get the word Belgium? Can you provide a minimal sample?

If you can't provide a sample, here are some things you might want to look for: Regex and Formula.

Best

Alex

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @crazybeauti_ful, you could use the regex tool and construct relevant Regex expression to parse out the text between brackets. Attached is a sample to help you get started and expand upon.

crazybeauti_ful
8 - Asteroid

Hi @grossal , I need to always get the data inside the parenthesis. I did try regex but I only got either the first 2 letters (outside the parenthesis) or 0.

grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

HI @crazybeauti_ful,

here is a Regex to achieve it. It's a bit tricky because you have to escape the parenthesis and use them in order to catch it.

grossal_0-1585773755372.png

Output:

grossal_2-1585773786602.png

Regex:

grossal_1-1585773779172.png

Regex-Code for easy copy paste:

.*\((.*)\).*

Workflow attached. Let me know if it works for you!

Best

Alex 

dannyg
5 - Atom

Hi,

I took a different approach, I used text to columns and used the ( as my delimiter. Then I used a formula to remove the other ) and that would just leave me with the text inside the parentheses. See the attached file and let me know if it works.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I like your thinking @dannyg !

RogersGraceC
5 - Atom

Can someone explain the syntax for the solution, please?

.*\((.*)\).*

With all the parentheses I'm having trouble understanding the different pieces of it. Thanks!

Rob48
8 - Asteroid

Would love to have this formula saved somewhere but RegEx doesn't have that option.  how would you wite this out for the Multi-Field Formula tool (where I can save the expression)?

PS - why don't the other formula-based tools have the ability to save expressions?  I use the Multi-Field tool in cases where I could just as easily use a Formula tool only because I've got the expression I need save there.   

dwstada
10 - Fireball

@Rob48  this would be the formula for a column called "Field" :REGEX_Replace([Field], ".*\((.*)\).*", "$1")

it replaces the whole expression with the first capture group (a capture group is what is in () and $1 calls back to the first capture group), which would be Belgium in this case

Labels