Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extract last n words from a string

marapatricia
7 - Meteor

Say I have the following table:

Sentence
A Data Model is a new approach for integrating data from multiple tables.
This parameter is a boolean flag.
I will be going to Germany with my boyfriend this May.
Nobu is a Japanese restaurant known all over the world for its unique food

How can I extract the last x words from each sentence. Is there a function similar to SUBSTITUTE in Alteryx wherein I can replace the xth occurrence of the space or is there another option? The REPLACE function replaces all instances of the character.

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
55dhr
6 - Meteoroid

Exactly what I needed.  Very simple.  Sometimes when you ask people what time it is they show you how to build a watch.  Thanks for the time.

binhnguyendn1606
6 - Meteoroid

If I understand your problem correctly, you want to split a string to 2 columns by a word in the string.

I come up with this idea which I think is simpler than most of solutions here (at least from the number of tools standpoint). You add a formula tool in which you add 2 columns.

1st column is to extract the last word by the formula: GetWord([field], CountWords([field]) -1)

2nd column is to extract the remaining by the formula: Replace([Page 2], GetWord([field], CountWords([field]) -1), "")

So conceptually, I get the last word to make it 1 column and the rest is the original one with the last word replaced by null.

Labels