Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extract filename from a file with no data

aka_ash
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am currently extracting a dates from filenames, however i have come across an issue where i have an empty file and still need to input the filename of that file to extract the date.

I use the Output File Name as Field in the Input tool.

Is there another way for me extract the filename from a file that might not have any data?

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Depending on your process, you could instead leverage the Directory tool which contains file and metadata information https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/directory-tool

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@aka_ash 
Can you further define "empty"? I use directory tool and pull out the information of an "empty" excel file.

We can use Run Command tool if necessary.

Qiu_0-1603851253606.png

aka_ash
8 - Asteroid

Hi @BrandonB and @Qiu ,

I am currently using input tool instead of the directory tool and hoping there was a way I could extract via input tool.

Looks like I will need incorporate the Directory tool to extract the metadata filename instead.

Thanks both,

Ash

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Rather than using the Input Data tool you can pair the Directory tool with a Dynamic Input tool. That way you can both extract data and metadata simultaneously

Labels