Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Extract 'File Properties' from all files in folder

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I thought the Directory tool would handle this, but it doesn't seem to quite hit the mark. I've got a large set of folders and files from an old website. I need to see when all the files were originally created and who the creator was.

I find the Directory tool is reading the date when I saved the file on my PC - not the original date.

Any idea how to extract file metadata as seen in Windows? See example below: I need the 2012 date etc not 2021!!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @CDunhill 

My initial reaction to this is that Alteryx cannot read this data. You should be able to use a vba macro to extract this. Alteryx could trigger the macro via a vb script using the run command tool/events panel though. 

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Interesting - thanks. In which case, I may commit the cardinal sin of trying to do the whole thing in Excel! 🙂

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@CDunhill 

Hi,

I'm working on something similar to your OP.  Did you happen to find a solution for finding when all the files were originally created and who the creator was?

TIA

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Sorry, I just saw this. I'm afraid I didn't - no. It ended up being a more manual task than I'd hoped for. I didn't have time to work out how to use the VBA method mentioned above but the logic seems to make sense.

Labels