Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Extract 'File Properties' from all files in folder

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I thought the Directory tool would handle this, but it doesn't seem to quite hit the mark. I've got a large set of folders and files from an old website. I need to see when all the files were originally created and who the creator was.

I find the Directory tool is reading the date when I saved the file on my PC - not the original date.

Any idea how to extract file metadata as seen in Windows? See example below: I need the 2012 date etc not 2021!!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Capture.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @CDunhill 

My initial reaction to this is that Alteryx cannot read this data. You should be able to use a vba macro to extract this. Alteryx could trigger the macro via a vb script using the run command tool/events panel though. 

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Interesting - thanks. In which case, I may commit the cardinal sin of trying to do the whole thing in Excel! 🙂

BonusCup
10 - Fireball

@CDunhill 

Hi,

I'm working on something similar to your OP.  Did you happen to find a solution for finding when all the files were originally created and who the creator was?

TIA

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Sorry, I just saw this. I'm afraid I didn't - no. It ended up being a more manual task than I'd hoped for. I didn't have time to work out how to use the VBA method mentioned above but the logic seems to make sense.

Labels