Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Extra Column in Predefined workflows

atulggrwl2
7 - Meteor
If i have 15 input files for a pre defined workflow. and there is an extra field in the data, how would i know?
7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @atulggrwl2 

Can you provide more explanation on what you are looking for.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

field info tool and compare it to what you want...

atulggrwl2
7 - Meteor

I already have a predefined workflow which i am using for the same client again and again whenever the new data comes up i just need to trigger the workflow.

So just want to know is there any way to check that some new column has been comes up in the raw input data as compare to previous runs for that client

atulggrwl2
7 - Meteor

that is still the manual task any other way

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @atulggrwl2 

This is great usecase and common practice followed by few where users wants to know any new columns have been added. Here is how you can do it.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1622092937816.png

1. You need to have a lookup table with predefined field names used.

2. Using field info get field names of current input file.

3. Using join tool we will look into the left unjoin i.e fieldnames in input file but not in field mapping.

4. Using a message if i have any new fields (i,e row number > 0) then it triggers an error message. If no new fields are added left unjoin will be 0 (i,e row number = 0) so no error message will be triggered.

Hope this helps 🙂

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@atcodedog05 
Good one.
Saved in my collection for future use.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Agree with @atcodedog05 - the best way to do this is to do a field-info on the inbound data stream; and then compare it to a static set of fields that you've recorded earlier and thrown an error (using the Test or Message tool) if there's a difference.

Labels