Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Exporting to Multiple Excel Files and that Exporting process separate by TABS

PedroPerdomo
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I have a data, that I need to split into 25 files, then those 25 files need to separate by tabs base on a field.

Any Idea, I already have the 25 export files.. but i need to create the separate tabs at the same time base on that field.

???

12 REPLIES 12
PeterA1
Alteryx
Alteryx

HI @PedroPerdomo the best approach to this would be to build your full file paths upstream of the output tool using a formula. For example you might have a formula that looks like:

"C:\Users\user\documents\"+[File Name Field]+".xlsx|||"+[Sheet Name Field]

Then in the output you would simply have that new file name field (which includes the dynamic sheet name and file name) as in the output below:

PeterA1_0-1629917204769.png

PedroPerdomo
7 - Meteor

Hi Peter,

I have that Already, what I need now is those output files to separate by tabs.

PeterA1
Alteryx
Alteryx

@PedroPerdomoto make sure I understand, do you need to take 25 excel files and combine them into one file with each file being a new worksheet (tab)? Or is the goal to output 25 files, each with tabs based on a field?

PedroPerdomo
7 - Meteor

Let me explain again, and sorry for my misunderstood.

I have a data, with 40 fields (Field A, Field B, Field C, Field D, Field E, etc etc).
I create a workflow to export that data into different excel files base on Field A (that export gave me 20 something files).

Now, those 20 something files I need to separate the data on each one by TABS base in Field E.

Any idea?

MatthewBr
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@PedroPerdomo  Take a look at the attached work flow that I just created. I believe this will set up what you need.

PedroPerdomo
7 - Meteor

@MatthewBr thank you so much... help a lot.

Really appreciate it.

MatthewBr
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@PedroPerdomo - Anytime - Hit me up in the future if you have any questions.

RogerJackls
6 - Meteoroid

@MatthewBr

RogerJackls_0-1633982915292.png

I have just started learning..as highlighted in the snapshot. Can you please elaborate what does this ".xlsx///" do?. and 2nd question is how to generate mutliple xlsx file according to a field name. Thanks in advance

jsilavong
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

In addition to this question. I have a excel file with 100 tabs.... I ideally want this excel file to be split into 100 different files based on each tab? Would anyone know where I would start? 

Basically split file workflow for excel tabs. I do not need to manipulate or change the data and I want the formatting on the tab to stay the same. 

Labels