Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Exporting the results of multiple workflows to separate tabs in the same Excel Output file

Altryx_Noob
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I have 3 separate Alteryx Workflows (3 separate queries making up the Input). I need to export the different results of these workflows into a single excel output file in separate tabs. For example I have 3 inputs and I would need these to be exported to the same excel output file in 3 separate tabs like Detail, Summary 1 and Summary 2. Can you please help with this? A more detailed solution would help me a lot as I am a newbie to Alteryx. 

Alteryx Workflow.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Altryx_Noob
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Patrick,

In the example you have mentioned is a case of splitting the result of one workflow into different tabs in the same spreadsheet. I am trying to do is to 

export the different result of these three different workflows into a single/same excel output file in separate tabs. I updated my workflows since last tine. Please see below.Alteryx Workflow-New.PNG

patrick_mcauliffe
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@Altryx_NoobWithout seeing your data its hard to say (please do not post confidential or proprietary data).

I believe what you are looking for though is the option at the bottom of the Output Data tool (Take File/Table Name From Field).

See the attached example.  Run it once and take a look at the output.

david_fetters
11 - Bolide

Have you tried using three separate output tools that all link to the same file but different sheets?Capture.PNG

In the output tool, set the output to an Excel document and use different sheet names.  When you place the output tool and tell it the location just use the same file name each time.  A little dialogue will pop up afterwards requesting a sheet name, and thats where you can choose the sheet.

Not to get too advanced on this, but I've found it's a good idea to place a block until done tool (under the developer tab) right before each output tool whenever you have multiple separate streams trying to write to the same file in a single workflow.  Because of the way Alteryx works through data, it can begin writing to the output before it has finished loading all of the data (this is good, usually!).  That can mean the excel file is locked up while the first stream finishes by the time the second set of data begins writing.

The block until done tool should help minimize the chances of a race condition here, because it will force all of the upstream data to finish loading and then write all of it in one quick action.  That makes it significantly less likely that the output file won't be available when the other streams are ready to write.

Altryx_Noob
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks! It worked!

Altryx_Noob
6 - Meteoroid

@david_fetters I got the workflow running and the results as expected.But when I run the workflow again it errors out as the output file already exists. I guess that this is because I had the Output Options as 'Create New Sheet'. When I changed the Output Options as 'Overwrite Sheet'(Drop) there is no error. The issue is that I am required to schedule this workflow to run everyday and email it to the end user. Is there a better way to do this?

Stoneage8988
6 - Meteoroid

HI David 

in the screenshot at the top he has 3 work streams basically, with 3 different input tools. 

Problem with block until done tool is has only one input anchor, and it does not accept more than one input stream. So not sure what it meant by  place a block until done tool (under the developer tab) right before each output tool whenever you have multiple separate streams trying to write to the same file in a single workflow

what if we have multiple input stream? 

Labels