Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Exporting a workflow with a macro nested within an encrypted macro

uthailderton
6 - Meteoroid

So I was wondering if it was possible to export a workflow that contains an encrypted macro with macros inside that macro. I came across the below article however this doesn't work when export and sending to other users

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Attaching-additional-files-to-a-wor...

Is there a solution to this or do you have to build macros so that the encrypted macro does not contain any nested macros?

2 REPLIES 2
Blake
12 - Quasar

Hi @uthailderton - is the issue that you aren't able to send the other workflow assets with the encrypted macro or that they are also encrypted? Either way, I think you can solve the problem you are facing. See below and let me know if it helps. For simplicity sake, I'll refer to the macro that will be encrypted as macro 1 and the nested/unencrypted macro as macro 2. 

Option 1 - encrypt all macros

options export.png

export2.png

export3.png

Going this route will also encrypt any macros that are nested within your main macro. 

Option 2 

If you want to keep the nested macros unencrypted, you can de-select them as workflow assets (in screenshot 2 above), create the package with the encrypted macro, open it and pull out your encrypted macro 1 file. Once you do this, you'll want to replace your unencrpyted version of macro 1 with the encrypted version. MAKE SURE YOU MOVE/SAVE/RENAME THE UNENCRYPTED VERSION OF MACRO 1 BEFORE YOU DO THIS. If you save over your unencrypted macro1 with the encrypted macro1, you will lose your unencrypted version.

To share this macro, you can create a new canvas, insert your encrypted macro on the new canvas, and attach the viewable macros as workflow assets to the encrypted macro.

I created a quick video walking through the steps for Option 2. It shows how I encrypted the top level macro but not the nested ones. There is no sound but hopefully it conveys the point. 

I hope this makes sense and can point you in the right direction, feel free to shoot me a message if you want some clarification.  

uthailderton
6 - Meteoroid
Hi @Blake, I went with Option 1 (this actually makes it more secure) and it works perfectly! Thank you very much for such a detailed response, incredibly helpful!
Labels