Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Exporting Filter Parameters, is it possible?

SurajC21
5 - Atom

Hi all, 

I am relatively new to Alteryx and wanted to check to see if there is any way to export or extract my filter parameters from flows I create and use? For example say there is a flow that has a filter for dates after the 1st of September, is it possible to extract this filter parameter along with any other filter parameters cumulatively or separately in my flow to have a combined list of the filtering I did within the flow?

If there isn't a native way to do this, would there be any recommendations of work around or other ways to be able to get a list of the filters I have used/implemented in my flow. 

Thanks alot for any help, advice and input. All is appreciated !!

4 REPLIES 4
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @SurajC21 ,

I have created a workflow as a proof of concept, with a single text input tool and two filter tools, one filtering [Field1] for value "a" and the other filtering [Field2] for value "d".

Each workflow that's saved in your computer can be read in a notepad as an xml. That same workflow file can be read natively withing Alteryx, so in the second input tool I'm inputing the workflow file in an XML format. I've used a filter tool to extract all nodes corresponding to filter tools in my workflow and you can see under the Operands column I can see that now I'm filtering for 3 values (a,d and filter)

AngelosPachis_0-1631804940696.png

Hope that helps,

Angelos

iCFO
9 - Comet

You could also create simple macro versions of tools like a "Dynamic Filter" and pass the filter setting as control parameters. That way you could also combine these values and export them to a log file.

My preferred way of doing this is in reverse. I create dropdown excel controllers that I used to set my filter settings and formula algorithms. That way it is maintained as a record of the current settings, easily controlled and adjusted even by a non-alteryx user and can be much more user friendly in design.

SurajC21
5 - Atom

Hi @AngelosPachis,

Thanks for the help, when trying to implement this into/with my existing flows I found that my inputting of the flow as an .xml file is not read the same as yours. With the existing flow and using an input tool, I read the flow back in as .xml. However, instead of having columns named Node, ToolID and Node_OuterXML I have the colums of Connection, Connection_OuterXML, name and Wireless. Is there anything I need to do before or when inputting the .ymxd file back in as a .xml ?

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@SurajC21 your xml syntax might differ to mine. If you can send that file over, I can have a look

Labels