Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Export multiple csv based on formula results

max_hfr
8 - Asteroid

Hi, so I have a database which contains events (eg. EF11RO9)

Each event can occur multiple times. 

I need to make one csv output per event. So the idea is that i need a formula that could join the same events in a different file. 

I have more than 2M lines and about 500 000 events so it's pretty impossible to make 500 000 outputs.

So if you have any idea for:

- The simplest formula to achieve the sorting

- The fastest way to export every table as a csv

Thanks in advance 

(Unfortunately i cannot share the dataset)

13 REPLIES 13
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Since I don't know what your data looks like, I've had to mock up a scenario. Hopefully you can adapt it to your situation.

I created a dummy dataset like this:

event to csv input data.png

The 1st thing I did is to group the data by event with transpose and crosstab tools:

event to csv grouped.png

Since you now have one row per event, you can build a batch macro that converts each row to the original format and writes it to a csv file. It takes [event] as the control parameter and the whole dataset as the macro input. Within the macro it then filters on one event at a time, like this: (Macro and workflow attached). You'll have to change the output path in the macro.

event to csv macro.png

max_hfr
8 - Asteroid

Hi David,  First of All thanks for your answer. When i try to open your file i get another. I believe 1 file is missing. It's my first time using a macro on alteryx so maybe i'm doing something wrong here
event to csv error.PNG

max_hfr
8 - Asteroid

Hey, i figured out how to see the macro and change the output. You saved my life man :). I hope i'll be able to reproduce the workflow with the real dataset. There is a chance that i will come back to you with another question xD.

Thanks again!

max_hfr
8 - Asteroid

Hi David,

I have been struggling to reproduce the macro with another data set from scratch. 
When i run the workflow it only creates a file with the filtered "ID" and doesn't repeat the action with all the "ID". 

Would you be so kind as to try to find the error? I have tried to reproduce it multiple time with no success. I have attached 

my workflow + macro

Thanks in advance,

Max

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

In the macro configuration in your workflow, change the Control GroupBy field to None.

control groupby.png

max_hfr
8 - Asteroid

It's working thanks to you i've finally started diving into macros :)

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I just looked through your macro. Two more things you need to update.

1. The Unique value in the Tile Tool should be [Name] rather than [Value]

2. In the Append Fields Tool at the end of the macro, you only want [ID] from the source and Columns 1,2 and 3 from the target. Uncheck  Unknown.

This will work fine for a fixed number of columns (i.e. 3), but if you have variable number of comments the Append Fields Tool in the macro will have to be replaced with a formula tool to add the filename field to the output.  I can have a play around with this and send you a new version.

append fields tool.png

max_hfr
8 - Asteroid

Hey thanks again at the moment i'm only using a fixed number of columns but i may need it for the future. If you have time to show me how it would work it would be nice, but otherwise you've already helped me more than enough!

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Actually, when I looked into how to remove the restriction of 3 columns, I realised that I overcomplicated the whole thing! 

The CrossTab tool in the workflow and the Transpose tool in the macro cancel each other out, so by removing both and making a few minor adjustments, the restriction for fixed columns falls away automatically and I don't need to use the Append Field Tool in the macro if I keep the [ID] field in the dataset throughout.

So here you go, new version attached that can handle any number of columns.

workflow.pngmacro.png

Labels