Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Export Workflow that has Count Records Tool Without Errors

chester50
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

I have a workflow that uses the count records tool as a check figure for our analysis.

When I try to export the workflow as a .yxzp package file, it says that "W:\_work\ca_zips.yxdb" is "Missing". If I continue and export with this missing, trying to open the resulting .yxzp file results in an error message that "Import had 1 error".

After clicking through the error warning and opening the workflow, the workflow itself does not actually have any errors and runs correctly. However, I am trying to publish this on our internal company website for use by other teams, so I would like the workflow to be able to be opened without any error warnings. 

Is there a way to export a workflow that includes the Count Records tool as an Alteryx package file without anything "missing" or any error warnings when opening the resulting file? 

Thanks in advance! 

7 REPLIES 7
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
One way around this, though I appreciate not ideal, would be to replicate the functionality of this tool but with another tool, such as the summerize. By applying the count function on any of your columns you will get the same result.

The only way it will act different is if 0 records are ever expected too pass through, the count records would return zero, the summerize tool would return nothing.

Hope this helps.
Ben
chester50
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Ben! This helped fix the error that we were seeing. I appreciate your quick response! 

cdemink
5 - Atom

I have the same result on the Build 2019.1.6 - I have two instances in my workflow in which I have the Summarize tool doing a 'Count' function - which is dependent on the Count Records tool. I want it to provide a summary value so do not have an easy workaround.

When you Export the project you get a message that there is a missing dependency. Your end-users of the Exported project will also see it and will need to click Yes through the message. To make sure the Count Records tool would still work in the exported project I did the following workaround:

Browse to:
Options/Advanced Options/Workflow Dependencies/

Double click on the dependency on this value  (or click Edit) :

Directory: W:\_work\ca_zips.yxdb
this is the junk value.

Change to:

Directory: CountRecords.yxmc

with no path. 

Once I generated the file then Alteryx also copied that .yxmc file into my project. The Count Records function will still work in the project when you run it. 

However, your users will get an error when they try to Extract the project and the W:\_work\ca_zips.yxdb file cannot be found. 

Click Yes to proceed through the error and the project will open and work without error. 

Still, this is still an issue. Not Solved yet.

clayconnell
5 - Atom

I have not come up with a solution that allows me to download a packaged workflow (.yxzp file) that does not contain an error with "W:\_work\ca_zips.yxdb cannot be found".

Fortunately, this error is inconsequential. Simply, Click yes and the workflow opens and works perfectly fine.

If one must avoid this error message from appearing at all costs, you could emulate the macro itself by copying and pasting the tools from within the Count Records macro onto your workflow. From there, configure the Summarize tool to Count any field you choose (just use the first field highlighted by default for simplicity).

Publish the workflow without the macro that contains the macro's tools instead, and you have a solution that doesn't have any errors when importing.

I would likely prefer to leave the macro in the workflow, as it's not hurting anything; however, one must know to disregard the false alarm "W:\_work\ca_zips.yxdb cannot be found" message.

Phill
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I think I have a similar issue, I've not come across this before and I have been running workflows with random sample tools for ages now all of a sudden I'm getting an error because it cant find W:\_work\ca_zips.yxdb.

I didn't understand the solution here, Ideally I don't want to remove the tool as that's the main benefit for the workflow. 

thanks 

clayconnell
5 - Atom

Hi Phil,

I know this is late but were you not able to run the workflow at all? Or was the error just showing up whenever you were 1. trying to publish to Gallery OR 2. trying to download from Gallery.

The error message will show up, but it's likely inconsequential and can be ignored if it's anything like the "Count Records" error mentioned above. Happy to help with further assistance if you're stuck.

ELOCKER
6 - Meteoroid

thank you!

Labels