Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Export Column mapping between resources

richzac
6 - Meteoroid

I want to get a spreadsheet that maps all the columns from input and output sources.  I imagine it would be a printout of the select workflow step (field to field mapping).

14 REPLIES 14
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @richzac 

The field info tool might be a good start for this. I also recommend getting in the habit of updating the description in the select tool with some more detailed notes. I've been getting into the practice of providing the output data and including a tab that is a simplified view of the field info tool so the end users can review each field's source and any assumptions used.

Luke_C_0-1621963845369.png

richzac
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for the response.  When I drag the Field Info Tool and link it to the import tool I get a message "This tool has no configuration".  How do I configure?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

You don't need to - you just attach the parts of the workflow you want column/field summaries for. It's automatic.

richzac
6 - Meteoroid

I have it attached to the input but it won't also let me link to the output?

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@richzac Can you share a screenshot of what you're trying to do? If you're trying to link to an existing output that won't work, it would need to be a new output tool

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @richzac ,

Could you give us an example of what you have and what you're trying to do so we can understand you better?

Why would you need a map of fields in the workflow in Excel?

M.

Bulien

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

attach it to the tool before your output. An output is final - it doesn't have an output anchor. It's workflow over. So if you attach the tool directly prior you can see what's going in your output (although opening your output would obviously do the same...)

richzac
6 - Meteoroid

For our clients as a pre sign off to start development, we give them a spreadsheet that lists a field to field source to target grid.  Looks much like the properties of the SELECT tool.

richzac_0-1621973604699.png

richzac
6 - Meteoroid

So you have the select tool to map the input columns to the target table.  It looks like a grid with the field name, the type, the size, and the rename values.  I want to export the grid to a spreadsheet.  As a second step to the migration process we have, is to present a map of the source and target columns with notes, examples, etc. to our clients  If we could export the actual select tool grid contents to a spreadsheet it would make our lives easier.  Some of out selects have hundreds of columns.

Labels